Monday, March 14, 2011

Treasure Hunt

Today with my 5th grade English class we did a treasure hunt as part of the projects we have been working on after reading Stevenson's Treasure Island. The students loved it! It was girls team against boys team. A race to find the buried treasure first; hidden at some secret spot on Shanti Bhavan campus. Kishore said, as I walked on the sandy road that leads around campus with the boys team: "It's like we are walking on the beach. Doesn't it really feel like we're on an island, Miss? Look, we even have palm trees and coconuts."

Before the hunt I was nervous to have a cohort of 5th graders running and yelling around campus while ISC and ICSE Board Exams were taking place for some of the high school students. However, I discussed the need for quiet and good behavior with the students before the hunt. In the end, I felt extremely proud of their ability to follow direction while still managing to have fun.

After each team found their buried treasure I learned that the students had made individualized gifts for each other. They drew pictures on cards according to particular interests or special talents. Cars and tools or lilies and sunflowers. Compasses, pencils, erasers, and other small items were given wholeheartedly. My original prompt was to hide any item. In their free time the students had taken this direction to a new level. What an outstanding example of the love the students have for each other! They have truly developed a sense of family here at Shanti Bhavan. The energy and force of this love envelops. I am so thankful that the students have allowed me into the warmth of this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment