Monday, January 17, 2011

Branching Out

I woke up this morning in my comfortable bed, went for a run, took a hot shower, ate a nutritious breakfast and thought, for the first time in a while, about how lucky I am. I noticed these everyday routines this day of all days since today is the day I leave for India. I have never been to India. And though I've studied much, and read even more, India seems worlds away. It will take me twenty four hours to get there and three airplane rides. When I arrive in Bangalore, it will be Wednesday. (What exactly happens to my Tuesday, January 18, 2011?)

I will be teaching science, English, and dance at the Shanti Bhavan School just outside of Bangalore, India for the New York organization called Artists Striving To End Poverty. The impetus for this experience is the need to bridge my self and what I may offer to others in a very real and direct way. 

Though blogging and I have had a love-hate relationship, I decided I need to process my thoughts and adventures not only for my friends and family, but for myself. 

A bit about the title. Anastomosis. Anastomosis is a Greek word meaning intercommunicate. It describes two or more paths or branches coming together as one. Some use it to describe rivers, tree branches, sap vessels, or blood vessels. While reading Body of Work: Meditations on Mortality From the Human Anatomy Lab by Christine Montross (an artful and awe-filled book about the human body, written from a poet-physician's perspective) I noticed that Montross was inspired by the loveliness and utility of medical terminology. One word she marvels upon is anastomosis. I thought: What a perfect title for my Indian adventure! Let this experience be a coming together. Two paths merging, growing as one.

1 comment:

  1. Leah, I am so glad that you are blogging about this experience. You are such a beautiful person. I am very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete